Science refers to the system of acquiring knowledge. This system uses observation and experimentation to describe and explain natural phenomena. Science also refers to the organized body of knowledge that people have gained by using this system. Science can be divided into three major branches: The physical sciences, the earth sciences, and the life sciences. These three branches can be even further divided as follows.
The Physical Sciences
- Physics– The study of matter and energy and the interactions between them.
- Chemistry– The science that deals with the composition, properties, reactions, and the structure of matter.
- Astronomy– The study of the universe beyond the Earth’s atmosphere.
The Earth Sciences
- Geology– The science of the origin, history, and structure of the Earth, and the physical, chemical, and biological changes that it has experienced or is experiencing.
- Oceanology– The exploration and study of the ocean.
- Paleontology– The science of the forms of life that existed in prehistoric or geologic periods.
- Meteorology– The science that deals with the atmosphere and its phenomena, such as weather and climate.
The Life Sciences
- Botany– The study of plants.
- Zoology– The science that covers animals and animal life.
- Genetics– The study of heredity.
- Medicine– The science of diagnosing, treating, and preventing illness, disease, and injury.
There are dozens more branches of science, but they all mostly fall under under these eleven main branches.
Technology is a broad concept that deals with a species’ usage and knowledge of tools and crafts, and how it affects a species’ ability to control and adapt to its environment. In human society, it is a consequence of science and engineering, although several technological advances predate the two concepts.
The words Science and Technology are often used interchangeably. However, the goal of science is the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake whereas the goal of technology is to create products that solve problems and improve human life. Simply put, technology is the practical application of science.